Re: PATCH: Issue 638 Autobeaming

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: PATCH: Issue 638 Autobeaming
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:21:23 -0700

On 12/18/09 2:49 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl,
>
> A question.  Does your code require autobeaming
> rules to be defined for beams of every possible
> duration?  I ask because the following example beams
> inconsistently, and I'm not sure if this is due to your
> code or differences in the autobeaming rules for 4/4 and
> 2/2 time signatures.  With a32 instead of a64 a64 the
> beaming is fine.

The current design is that unless a beaming rule is specified for a given
duration, the default beaming rule is used.

For 2/2, the default rule is break at (1 . 2), with 1/32nds breaking at
every (1 . 4).  I'm not sure that this is the best possible rule.  After
all, I'm not an expert in beaming.

Would it be better to have it follow the 4/4 rule: by default break at every
(1.4), and have 1/8 notes break at (1 . 2) ?  I expect that that is what
Read is saying.

If so, this is a simple rule change.

I think that the default rule set is probably not correct, and needs a more
thorough reading.  I'll try to get to that today.

Thanks,

Carl