Re: why recommend \relative to take a "c"?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: why recommend \relative to take a "c"?
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:06:54 +0100

> 2)  "why a C?"  -- a few ideas:
>
> - for better or worse, almost all lilypond scores use c'.  Of
>   course, this is a chicken and egg "problem", but I don't think
>   it's a particular problem.  Having a single recommended note
>   per octave increases the readability between lilypond-score
>   writers,

I don't see why.  The whole point of relative mode is that you can't
tell absolute pitch without the entire context.  The specified starting
pitch is just relevant for the first note.

And "readability" of the first note alone is not really a really
important metric.

And even if it were: \relative c' does not tell you easily which octave
you are going to end up with in case the next note is not c.  \relative
f' (and its octavated cousins) does a much better job with that.