Re: translations

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: translations
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:21:35 +0100

Le mercredi 25 novembre 2009 à 22:07 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 09:33:50PM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> > Jan already translate a few sentences in several nodes in French and
> > Dutch, and while splitted HTML translated docs used to be written as
> > index_xx.html it works for me now, kudos.
>
> Ok, if you're certain everything's working...

Ooops, no, I still get index_xx.html filenames for splitted translated
manuals.  In the process on solving this, I'm currently trying to make
extract_texi_filenames work (making systematic trailing spaces removal),
which implies in turn normalizing snippet titles (commas are forbidden
in node names, "@"commands are problematic because
extract_texi_filenames would have to know how to translate them into
plain text like texi2html)... I'll end up within two hours with a commit
on master that follows up your merging of the two init files.  In the
best case, we'll get working filenames for all manuals in all languages
within 2 or 3 hours.  In the worst case, I'll push a commit that lets
the doc build finish succesfully, with some number of broken HTML
filenames and links, hopefully not worse than what we had before.

> > Shall I take over mangling a v2.xx directory in www_post.py?
>
> No, don't bother.  We're not switching build systems before 2.14;
> only do whatever's necessary to make the translations work.

... and whatever's necessary to allow me working on Texi2HTML init files
without losing the little Perl sanity I have :-P

> > It works way better than one week ago; do you think there are some files
> > in web/ we can already declare as translatable?
>
> Sure, the whole thing.  One person's working on Alternate input;
> nobody's working on anything else.  If and when anybody changes
> something, the translators can update accordingly.

I just got those word counts (that exclude Texinfo comments) from
translation-status:

251   web.texi
2399  web/community.itexi
1034  web/download.itexi
3647  web/introduction.itexi
1929  web/manuals.itexi
1059  macros.itexi
161   translations.template.html.in
1670  po/lilypond-doc.pot (translate to po/@var{MY_LANGUAGE}.po)
---   lilypond-texi2html.init (section TRANSLATIONS)
12150 total

12000 words is a too big amount for one submission, I'll see how to
split this in two submissions.  I didn't include basic-authors.itexi,
which is currently a mess, nor news* files — BTW, why the mao are some
news files present in {nl,fr}/web that seems nothing else than copies of
the files in English?

Best,
John