Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:39:00 +0000 (UTC)

Trevor Daniels <t.daniels <at> treda.co.uk> writes:

> I've finally got around to looking at this.
> It seems the \deadNote function works fine,
> but \deadNotesOn and \deadNotesOff do not.
>
> I had a quick look at their definitions and
> I think they should be
>
> deadNotesOn =
>   #(define-music-function (parser location) ()
>      (override-head-style '(TabNoteHead NoteHead) 'cross))

Yes, that is exactly correct.  I'm not sure what brain cramp led to
my error, and how I missed it in the regression test files.

> since they do modify the music stream.  Anyway,
> after making that change it works - except it
> seems not to work if placed before the very
> first note in a score.  Not sure why this is.

It has something to do with instantiating the voices, particularly
when the top-level expression in the staff is a parallel expression.

I've changed the snippets in input/regression to include starting
from the first note, along with a comment warning that explicit
voice instantiation is necessary when deadNotesOn or palmMuteOn
comes at the beginning of the piece.

> Could you check this out please, as I'm not
> very sure of my ground here.  Thanks.

Thanks for the feedback,

Carl