Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:19:46 +0100

Carl Sorensen wrote Wednesday, August 05, 2009 1:42 PM

On 8/5/09 2:44 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

Carl, Marc

After the long discussion about naming the
new cross-head function and associated predefs
I see you have retained deadNote as the base
name.

I thought the outcome of the discussion
was to use xHead or crossHead for the base
name with deadNote being defined to invoke
the base function and predefs, so preparing
the way for other musical functions and predefs
to be defined to invoke the same base functions.

Why did you decide not to do this?

Given that the current usage is specifically designed for guitar tablature (as evidenced by the inclusion of TabNoteHead changes), it seemed the most
semantically appropriate thing to do was to use deadNote.

If we decide to use this same function for the general case of switching to a cross-shaped notehead, then we will redefine it to either crossHead or xHead, but we will still keep deadNote (the semantically correct term for
guitar tablature) as an alias for xHead.

In the meantime, we can move forward on tablature.

As I see it, the current decision causes problems only if we were to change to xHead in the future and eliminate deadNote. And I see no plans in the
future to eliminate deadNote.

Does this make sense to you?

Thanks Carl and Marc for the explanations.

I think it was a pity that the groundwork
for a more generic approach was not laid
down right away, so we could have easily
added the aliases for all the other uses
of crossheads, but I accept that no great
harm has been done by this parochial approach,
as long as future developers don't forget
this can be easily changed.  Now it's documented
here there is less chance of that, but it
would be even better if you could do it
while it's fresh in your mind :)

I'd be happy to document it, add aliases,
and flesh out NR 2 wherever crossheads are
used.

Trevor