Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: the "r" in "git pull -r"
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:34:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Graham Percival wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 08:45:22AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> >
> > Graham Percival wrote Monday, August 10, 2009 12:48 AM
> >> I maoing hate git.
> >
> > Git is fine; the complexity comes from the
> > baroque structures in LilyPond.  Let's be
> > thankful Git has tools to cope :)
>
> Oh?  Didn't you comment that if you had to use git at the
> beginning, you wouldn't have ever started contributing?  Remember
> Tim's first reaction when he saw the instructions for starting to
> help the website -- "criminity on a crutch":
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-07/msg00288.html
>
> We've lost 50% of potential contributors to the website because of
> git.  Now, it's an open question whether those potentials were
> actually serious or not.  However, I know that it took one serious
> contributor almost a week to reach the state of being able to send
> me good updates.  Even disregarding the offers of help that dried
> up when git was mentioned, I do *not* think that spending a week
> fighting git is very motivating.

Fair enough.  Maybe it is time to suggest an easy interface to Git?  You
could even write a very simple wrapper around Git that _just_ downloads
the current version of LilyPond, allows the user to edit the files and
then click another button to send the patch.

For Windows, it would be even easier: I could make a custom version of the
Git installer just for you, which comes with a Tcl/Tk interface (or uses
Git GUI right away).

Ciao,
Dscho