Re: two bugs in ties

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: two bugs in ties
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 23:53:05 +0100

Heikki Johannes Junes <address@hidden> writes:

> I found the same behavior for this example. Nevertheless, I would expect a
> tie between e'-notes (only).

That's too bad, because you cannot tie different chords.  That's why
LilyPond won't do it.  You probably have at least two voices, one of
which has a tied chord.  Note that it's a quite common mistake in
poorly engraved music.

> I usually compile make first 'make uninstall' for the earlier version
> (1.5.26), extract the whole source (1.5.28) in new directory and compile
> it with 'autoconf && ./configure && make all && make install'. I tried
> 'buildscripts/out/clean-fonts && make all && make install', but it didn't
> change the result. All my accidental work fine.

In that case, what is the problem?  You wrote:

   I) <c4 g' e'>~<cis4 gis' e'>

    - sharps (flats, etc.) missing

> If I modify just a bit your example and add a 'Voice'-context for chords
> and change one e' to es':
>
>     \score {
>       \context Staff \context Voice = i {
>          \notes\relative c'' { <c4 g' es'>~<cis4 gis' e'> }
>       }
>     }

Ugh!  Something has been severely broken wrt ties.  This is very bad.
It seems that 1.4.10 is fine.

> Now I get all my errors and benefits. Something works already and
> something needs to be fixed.

> If tied chords are in the same 'Voice'-context:
>  - midi fails with first tied chords, while succeeds with second,
>    third, etc...
>  - there are slurs between notes with are aligned vertically in the same
>    level at the score, but differ chromatically:
>      c4 and cis4, g' and gis', es' and e
>  - for the notes which differ only chromatically there are no
>    accidentals in the latter tied chord:
>      cis4 and gis' need  sharp (#)
>      e'            needs natural (cancels the effect of the previous
> flat)

Indeed, tie behaviour is broken.  Thanks for the example.

> Except for these bugs, I found the behavior of tying with '~' nice and
> effective.

Thanks, you'll like 1.4.10 even more :-)

Jan.