libcvd-members

Re: [libcvd-members] FAST corner detection--- RFC

From: Georg Klein
Subject: Re: [libcvd-members] FAST corner detection--- RFC
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:17:05 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Edward Rosten wrote:

Does anyone ever use FAST corners without nonmax? I think that nonmax suppression should be the default operation. Is there a good reason to provide non nonmax functions?

Yes, I do. I initialise my features on max locations, then run detection on all cornery regions.

Interesting.

How about having

fast_corner_detect_XX()

and

fast_corner_detect_XX_nonmax()

Sure, but it'll break everyone's existing code :)
The slightly uglier but more compatible alternative is to have a different
function name which does all-in-one.
It's up to you IMO. The code breakage would be trivial to fix.

By the way - am I correct in my vague recollection that the nonmax function currently doesn't even know about the xx in fast-xx? I suppose your new formulation would fix that?

// wish list start
If your new nonmax-suppression code will fix that, can you make standalone versions of that as well? And if it's faster, maybe even a version which spits out both lists at once? Finally, a version which outputs corners-and-scores would allow better dynamic thresholding.
// wish list end

How so? What machines does it fail on?

It didn't on mine here for a while (core 2 duo) but now does. Any number of things could have changed.

that you are in fact getting the SCREAMING SIMD version if you want it. Currently, the compile brekage if you don't accomplishes that.

How so? It's supposed to use non SSE versions if it doesn't detect it.

Was probably something broken on my end - I was getting link errors. Maybe .so and .h out of sync for some reason, although that shouldn't be possible.