iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: CVS update

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: CVS update
Date: 19 Dec 2002 03:55:08 -0800

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 02:49, M. Nentwig wrote:

> hmmm, looks like -I- was missing something. If the real card behaves
> just like that, I'm happy.
> I'll just use the sample's root key instead of C3 and be done with it.
> The scenario I had in mind was stretch tuning on a multisampled piano
> (lower the low end, raise the high end), but obviously this doesn't work
> without retuning the individual samples. Needless to say, with Peter's
> new tuning feature nobody would need it anyway :)

Right, Peter's tuning stuff will kill Scale Tuning :) Good thing too, I
never realized how useless it was until you mentioned the problem of
overlaps breaking and the like.

> Cheers
>
> Markus

Some other things on my mind, before I got to sleep (almost 4am aggh!)

Has anyone experienced sudden, unexpected and very loud static bursts
with FluidSynth as of late? I was experiencing this a couple nights ago
with rather turned up Reverb settings. These bursts would suddenly occur
after playing a series of notes and would sometimes go on for dozens of
seconds. I was glad my headphones weren't turned up too loud and that I
could just take them off.

I thought I would revisit the idea of turning the fine tune parameter
into the missing link with modulators and the MIDI pitch bend controller
to initialPitch problem (lack of initialPitch generator). I still think
this is a good idea. If FluidSynth did this internally, one could then
override the pitch bender modulator and define one owns effect for the
pitch bender, etc. This wouldn't break compatibility in my opinion. The
only thing being done is allowing a modulator to modulate a parameter
outside of its recommended range (-99 - +99 cents in the case of fine
tune). It would probably be a good idea to have a warning in an editor
such as Swami when someone saves a modulator to a SoundFont that takes
advantage of this feature. I guess the question should be, would there
be a reason for someone to create a modulator that uses initialPitch,
and by allowing it to go outside the range, break their expectations? I
think not. Anyways.. A minor thing, but would be cool.

Cheers.
        Josh