iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Re: CVS update

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: CVS update
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:25:07 +0200

> My understanding of tuning in SoundFont files is that the
> root note (set
> from the sample layer or from a Root Key override generator at the
> instrument layer) should always play the sound at its
> original sampling
> rate (taking into account other tuning adjustments, fine tune
> and coarse
> tuning at the inst layer and fine tune at sample layer). At
> any rate, it
> should not be the fixed value C3 but whatever the root note happens to

> be.

I think this won't work, at least not with the sample layer.
The root note is set at the sample layer, OK. Now there are several
samples for different ranges of the keyboard.
Each of them keeps its pitch at its root key. Then the pitch jumps at
transitions between samples.
Maybe this would work with the root key on instrument / preset level
only. But I think then scale tuning would have to be handled by the
SFloader (because the information is not available anymore to the
synth).

Cheers

Markus