iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Re: CVS update

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: CVS update
Date: 18 Dec 2002 23:56:23 -0800

This was an email from a while back, I realized I never responded to
your scale tuning query..

On Sun, 2002-11-17 at 23:47, M. Nentwig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> some more changes on CVS.
> Josh, could you check the scale tuning implementation? The swami control
> is now quite sensitive, I think there is still something wrong.
> Also, I haven't found from the specs, which key should be kept at a
> fixed pitch, when tuning is varied. Key 0 doesn't make much sense, I
> used C3 instead.

My understanding of tuning in SoundFont files is that the root note (set
from the sample layer or from a Root Key override generator at the
instrument layer) should always play the sound at its original sampling
rate (taking into account other tuning adjustments, fine tune and coarse
tuning at the inst layer and fine tune at sample layer). At any rate, it
should not be the fixed value C3 but whatever the root note happens to
be. Moving away from the root note N semitones causes the pitch to
change by:

(N * ScaleTune) cents

So the default ScaleTune = 100 cents, which gives us the normal scaling
of 1 semitone per note.

> Cheers
>
> Markus

Cheers.