iiwusynth-devel

RE: [iiwusynth-devel] New settings system

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: RE: [iiwusynth-devel] New settings system
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:51:44 +0200

> As you can see, the synth object no longer depends on the audio
> drivers.

It's good to have that separated. Now I'm wondering, if it would make
sense, to move the Ladspa Fx unit to a 'patchbay' layer between synth
and audio driver. This would not even be much work and could look like
this:

synth = new_iiwu_synth(settings);
patchbay=new iiwu_patchbay(settings, synth);
adriver = new_iiwu_audio_driver(settings, patchbay);

Between synth and patchbay there are 'i' stereo channels and 'j' stereo
aux ways.
Between patchbay and audio driver there are 'k' mono outputs.
The default patchbay mixes all aux returns with input channel 1, and
sends '1L' to output channel 1, '1R' to output channel 2, '2L' to output
channel 3 and so on (until all output channels are used up). A
non-default patchbay (ex-LADSPA Fx unit) can do any routing.

This would clean up the synth code, which is a bit messy right now (the
stuff with reverb / chorus processmix / replace).
It would also clearly separate the Fx processing from the other
functional blocks.
I don't know, how users will react, if we change the architecture after
making a stable release. Would be nice to have that right from the
start.

> For example 'info audio.driver' will show you the list of possible
audio
> drivers.

Great. I mean *great*!

Cheers