iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Some FluidSynth notes

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Some FluidSynth notes
Date: 18 Dec 2002 23:31:21 -0800

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 01:41, Peter Hanappe wrote:

> As you suggested, I've made some changes to the settings (not yet in
> CVS though). In particular, a string settings can have a list of
> possible options. It's now also possible to change a string settings
> in real-time. This means you could write:
>
>    iiwu_setting_setstr("fx.reverb.preset", "Small Room");
>
> and the effects would be immediate. You can retreive the list of options
> with 'iiwu_settings_foreach_option', which takes a.o. a callback
> function as argument.

This sounds *really* neat :) I'm looking forward to using the new
settings interface with the upcoming super improved more advanced
FluidSynth plugin!

> That's a very important point indeed. People are starting to use
> FluidSynth to make music and we have to give a guarantee their work
> will sound the same for all versions of the synthesizer.

I was thinking of adding a wavetable plugin for the OSS AWE/Live! driver
in Swami again soon, this could enable some easy testing. An instrument
could then be loaded into both the FluidSynth and EMU wavetable devices
and played simultainiously. With the ALSA mixer I could just have the
PCM audio be routed to one speaker and the wavetable to another. Then
start with a base sound and play around with the different controls to
hear the difference (put headphones on when we really want to get them
right :) Unfortunately I should probably get my EMU8k based ISA AWE 32
card back from a friend of mine. I think it was a bit of a better card
then this SB Live (at least the Reverb/Chorus worked in Linux).

> > A lot of this API work will make the
> > addition of other patch formats feasable
>
> That's great Josh! Right now it's difficult to keep up with the
> development of FluidSynth, so I haven't had much time to check
> out the latest changes in Swami. I hope to get there when version
> 1.0 is out the door.

Today was a significant day in Swami history :) The new development
branch made its first noises using FluidSynth and the new plugin
architecture. So the development branch is coming along, but isn't quite
there yet for general consumption.

> Cheers,
> Peter

Lates.