iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Lates CVS changes

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Lates CVS changes
Date: 03 Dec 2002 11:57:28 -0800

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 07:56, Antoine Schmitt wrote:
> :::::::::3/12/02::::14:43 +0100::::Peter Hanappe:::::::::
> >Maybe there's
> >no need for on demand load and caching if streaming is available.
>
> Mmm, these are really different, especially when using the media from
> a slow medium (CD-Rom, Internet). On these slow medium, it is best of
> the client app can decide when to do the file access (i.e. explicit
> loads/unloads).
>

> >My basic idea for the streaming back-office is a cache
> >of sample buffers. These sample buffers store a part of the full
> >sample and have the same size, for example 8k.
>
> Maybe some optimization for samples/instruments/presets with loops
> would be nice : if a loop happens during the sustain phase, dont
> access the file system all the time. It would argue for a custom
> buffer length for each sample...
>
> >(...)
> >Exciting, no?
>
> Yes !
>

> ++ as

Perhaps two different methods of streaming could be used. One that has
the concept of a fixed length sample (therefore an offset into the
sample is supplied in the callback and data only needs to be fetched
when needed) and one that allows for arbitrary streaming of audio.
Perhaps the second one is not that useful? Anyways, lets save that for
later :)
        Josh Green