iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] GObject (was: FluidSynth roadmap)

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] GObject (was: FluidSynth roadmap)
Date: 02 Dec 2002 21:42:32 -0800

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 08:14, Peter Hanappe wrote:

> I tried GObject a bit when I did some coding with GTK. However, I never
> felt comfortable with it. I'll give it a second try.

It is somewhat of a beast to get used to. What I like the best is that
it uses C which is the lowest common denominator in coding. It also has
some nice tools with PyGTK that make writing Python bindings to GObject
based code a breeze (well it appears so, I haven't actually jumped onto
this yet). I'm not an experienced C++ programmer, so I can't really
compare C++ to GObject, but I'm sure C++ is a lot cleaner :) There is
quite a lot of macro casting when using GObject (and for that matter
GTK) since there is no concept of inherited classes with C. Also,
building C++ programs gives me a sour taste in my mouth, but thats just
my own opinion. Cheers.
        Josh Green