iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Lates CVS changes

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Lates CVS changes
Date: 03 Dec 2002 04:15:05 -0800

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 03:13, Antoine Schmitt wrote:
> :::::::::2/12/02::::21:44 -0800::::Josh Green:::::::::
> >- All samples are loaded and mem locked in RAM
> >
> >- Samples are loaded on demand and cached
> >(...)
>

> I though about this when making the Director Xtra. After discussions
> with Peter, I decided to do all the cacheing with a granularity of a
> SoundFont, not a sample, using the load/unlod_soundfont API.
> Reason : simpler for Fluid and for the client, close to the working
> process of end users.
> It is a compromise, but I like it.

Sure, that might work for your application, but not for a full featured
patch editor. I currently have on demand sample loading working with
Swami (although currently loaded when a note is first pressed which is
bad), but there is currently no way to unload them. This would seem
rather trivial to implement and I think well worth it. Please keep in
mind that there are many applications for FluidSynth with many different
demands. You may not know what my application does (or aims to do), but
these types of features would come in very handy.
(http://swami.sourceforge.net if you want to check it out).

> >- Samples are streamed on demand, well perhaps for FluidSynth 2.0 :)
> (...)
>
> That would be great! Tough to implement though, especially crossplatform.
>
> ++ as

Yes, cross platform can be a problem. My primary target is Linux,
secondary is Unix based systems (OS X, BSDs, etc) and last is Win32
systems (I don't like working with Win32 stuff). Cheers.
        Josh Green