iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] GObject (was: FluidSynth roadmap)

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] GObject (was: FluidSynth roadmap)
Date: 03 Dec 2002 04:07:15 -0800

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 03:03, Antoine Schmitt wrote:
> :::::::::2/12/02::::21:42 -0800::::Josh Green:::::::::
> >GObject
>
> Just for the record, and for information, there is a really lovely
> langage, that is ObjectiveC. I believe that it is implemented as a
> runtime library inside gnu. It is standard on MacOSX. I provides for
> great object oriented programming, and it is really easy to
> read/program. Plus, it is dynamic, somewhere between C++ and
> lisp/perl programming... Plus, it is completely compatible with C
> (one can mix sources in both langages, and call back and forth).
> I love it since my NeXT days.
> I have no idea how well this is implemented/available in linux.
>
> ++ as

I looked into that a little before jumping on GObject. It sounded pretty
neat, but since it currently isn't used much in Linux projects and
glib/GObject/GTK2 are, I decided to use the latter platform. While I
think that my choice has required a bit more development time, I think
the result will be a fast and portable patch editing system with a
strong future (since GObject/glib/GTK2 is the basis of Gnome2). Cheers.
        Josh