Re: [igraph] weak ties / structural holes in Igraph

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] weak ties / structural holes in Igraph
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:24:04 +0200

Magnus-

> However, I am very enthusiastic about your comment that the efficiency
> of graph.neighborhood() has been increased in the development version,
> [...] And this perhaps applies to subgraph() in general?
Well, in reality, it works the other way round: subgraph() became more
efficient and this means that graph.neighborhood() should also be faster. In
particular, subgraph() takes a look at the number of vertices to be
retained, and if it is less than half of the number of vertices in the whole
graph, then the new subgraph will be created from scratch; otherwise it will
copy the original graph and delete the unnecessary nodes.

> So, the follow up question would be: Any idea when we can expect a
> release that incorporates the new implementation of graph.neighborhood()?
The final word is Gabor's so I cannot comment on this, but if you are
longing for trying out the development version and you don't mind compiling
it for yourself, then you can always grab the latest nightly snapshot from here:

http://code.google.com/p/igraph/downloads/list

(Look for the "Nightly build, GNU R source package" files, this is what you
need).

Best,