Re: [igraph] weak ties / structural holes in Igraph

From: Lin Freeman
Subject: Re: [igraph] weak ties / structural holes in Igraph
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:40:32 -0700

Gabor,

On weak ties, you might want to take a look at the second half of the attached paper.

Best,
Lin Freeman

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Gábor Csárdi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Carlos Eduardo <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Is there any command in Igraph to deal with concepts/measures of weak ties
> (Granovetter) and  structural holes (Burt)?

Hi,

I am not sure what measures are out there for weak ties, but for
structural holes please see
http://igraph.sourceforge.net/doc/R/constraint.html

Gabor

> Thanks,
>
> Cadu
>

> ------------------------------------
>

> Granovetter, M. (1983). The strength of weak ties: a network theory
> revisited. Sociological Theory, 1, 201-233.
>

> Burt, R. S. (1995). Structural holes: The social structure of competition.
> Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.

Gabor Csardi <address@hidden>     MTA KFKI RMKI

Linton C. Freeman
Institute for Mathematical Behavioral Sciences
School of Social Sciences  SSPA 2143
University of California
Irvine, CA 92697-5100

Office:             (949) 824-6698