Re: [igraph] weak ties / structural holes in Igraph

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] weak ties / structural holes in Igraph
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:42:12 +0200

Hi Magnus,

The bottleneck in your code is most likely graph.neighborhood, which calls
subgraph() (well, igraph_subgraph in C) in the background. In igraph 0.5.x,
igraph_subgraph() copies the entire graph and deletes the vertices *not* in
the subgraph, which is pretty inefficient for large graphs. This has been
rectified in the development version already, but until then, you should
find an alternative solution that does not involve graph.neighborhood.

One thing that you could try is to derive ego.vcount from degree(g) since
the size of the first-order ego network is always one larger than the degree
of the central vertex. (Alternatively, you could use neighborhood.size).
ego.ecount is trickier, but you can try something like this (untested and
I'm not an expert in R):

neighborhood.ecount <- function(g, vertex) {
  neis <- neighbors(g, vertex, mode="all")
  neis <- c(neis, vertex)
  length(E(g) [ neis %--% neis ])
}

Applying this function to every element in the range 0:vcount(g)-1 should
then give you the number of edges in the ego network of each vertex.

Cheers,
T.