Re: [igraph] weak ties / structural holes in Igraph

From: Magnus Thor Torfason
Subject: Re: [igraph] weak ties / structural holes in Igraph
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:33:11 -0400

Hi Tamas,

Thanks for the advice. Seeing this code reminds me of a message I sent the list last year about the efficiency of edge subsetting, and Gabor's reply:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2010-05/msg00020.html
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2010-05/msg00022.html

I never did manage to get the development version up and running, but it seems that the edge subsetting issue should be resolved in the current version. So I think I'll try it out with the neighborhood.ecount() function.

However, I am very enthusiastic about your comment that the efficiency of graph.neighborhood() has been increased in the development version, since social scientists tend to be interested in a variety of ego network measures (not just the ego network density), and an efficient graph.neighborhood() function would make that much more feasible. And this perhaps applies to subgraph() in general? Going from a copy-then-prune to construct-from-scratch model would make all the difference in efficiency for me. As it is now, graph.neighborhood() would create 100K copies of a 100K node network. Clearly infeasible.

So, the follow up question would be: Any idea when we can expect a release that incorporates the new implementation of graph.neighborhood()?

Thanks for your ongoing support and attention!

Best,
Magnus

ps. I apologize for my R-speak. That's really the only igraph implementation that I know and use, so I'll have to leave the translation into C to others.

pps. Without knowing for sure, I suspect that the reason you went for copy-then-prune, in graph.neighborhood() has to do with preserving the attributes in a simple way. With construct-from-scratch, all the attributes have to be copied individually as well I presume. Which makes me think that perhaps it would not be that much more complicated to allow the user to specify which attributes should be included in the subgraphs. So if a guy like me, with a large network with a bunch of attributes (both edge and vertex) needs to generate a list of subgraphs, to calculate some measures, it would probably improve efficiency in terms of speed and memory if it were possible to pass a list of which attributes to copy to the new graphs - in some cases, no attributes would need to be copied.