Re: [help-texinfo] Re: wrong xml output

From: Alper Ersoy
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: wrong xml output
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:50:06 +0200

Alper Ersoy:
> > Now it (kind of) does:

> > $ makeinfo --xml lilypond.texi
> > *** stack underflow (-1 - 0) ***
> > Element stack index : -1

Here are the details:

After some investigation, the cause of the problem turned out to be
an element balance check in execute_string (if you are interested.)

Since you are using a macro in the table, and macros are handled by
execute_string, number of elements in element_stack differs before
and after the macro (due to the <item> started by the macro).  So
makeinfo tries to balance it by inserting an </item> tag (just after
the macro.)  Though, it wasn't marked down (in xml_in_item table.)
Then when makeinfo sees another @item, it tries to end the previous
one once again.  At the end, these double </item> tags show up as
stack underflow.

Now makeinfo pays attention to this kind of tags.  However, tag
balance checks still remain in execute_string.  So, if a macro
starts an <item>, there will still be an </item> just after that
macro.  To work it around in your document, just indent that line
(lilypond-book.texi:324) slightly.  You will get a well-formed XML
document then.

Karl, I haven't decided on a final fix yet.  I have to do some
stress tests on execute_string to see if all those checks are
still necessary.  I'll keep you notified.

--
Alper Ersoy