Re: Funding - Specifically identifying allocations

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Funding - Specifically identifying allocations
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:43:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Miquel Cabanas wrote:

do you mean a bounty like the Gnome bounty at
http://www.gnome.org/bounties/index.html?

That is an excellent system. It's great to see corporations contributing to this. I would think that we all benefit.

What I've been doing is hiring students, training them on Octave and having them write code for me. Once this code is complete, usable and documented, it will be turned over to Octave-Forge. It is much easier for me to get money to hire students than to get money to pay someone outside my university for services.

Related question: We had a plan to develop a system for delivering add-on packages for Octave. This would complement Octave-Forge. How is that coming along?

Mike