help-gnu-music

Re: [Help-gnu-music] Bagpipe Music.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-music] Bagpipe Music.
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:57:49 +0200

> That is the same approach I've been trying, but you've gotten a bit
> farther.  I'd like to enumerate the things that are not working properly
> for GHB music.  If there are ways to fix this with current
> functionality, any help would be much appreciated.  Of course, any
> needed changes/enhancements would also be most appreciated.

I have attached an updated version of the bagpipes.ly
header file, which includes the solution to some of your
requests. It uses the property push feature which was
introduced in version 1.3.85.

> 1.    Grace notes need very small heads.

See the attached file. The font size ``-3'' gives you
the smallest size available in the feta font family
(feta11).

> 2.    Grace notes need short stems.

See the attached file. This will not affect the
beamed notes, the length of beamed stems is
specified in a different way.

> 3.    Beamed grace notes need to be squeezed closer together,
> proportionate to the "small" head size.

I pass this question to Han-Wen or Jan.

> 4.    Beams on grace notes need to have "much" finer lines.

See the attached file. Unfortunately, the spacing between the
lines is the same for all beams in the piece, both grace notes
and usual notes.

> 5.    Slurs defined following a grace note/sequence start with the
> preceeding grace note.  This would be very confusing to GHB
> musicians.

This is a bug.

> 6.    In the example previously provided, unbeamed 8th notes are
> displayed with a slash, not a flag.

The property has changed name, see the attached file

> 7.    The beams for melody (not grace) notes are a bit thick also.
Change it the same way as for grace notes, but in the
Voice context.
> 8.    A 'C' is displayed at the beginning of each line, regardless of
> time signature.
??? Is this something you want?
> 9.    Some notes are run together.

Bug!

> 10.  Time signatures are flakey (see Martin's response below).

??? You can force Lilypond to always typeset a specific
time signature regardless of the actual time signature, using
the property Staff.timeSignatureStyle, see the manual. However,
it will print the signature at each location where you have a
(real) time signature change.

   /Mats
\paper{
  \translator {
    \GraceContext
    basicNoteHeadProperties \push #'font-size = #-3
    basicStemProperties \push #'font-size = #-1
    basicBeamProperties \push #'font-size = #-3
    basicTextScriptProperties \push #'font-size = #-3
    basicSlurProperties \push #'font-size = #-3
    basicLocalKeyProperties \push #'font-size = #-3
    basicBeamProperties \push #'beam-thickness = #0.3  % default .42
    % The following determines the length of stems without beams
    % default is between 2.8 and 4.0 depending on the number of flags
    basicStemProperties \push #'length = #6
    % Flags without a slash:
    basicStemProperties \push #'flag-style = #""
  }
}

\notenames #'(
        (g . ( 0 4 0 ))