help-gnu-music

Re: [Help-gnu-music] Bagpipe Music.

From: Jim Sabatke
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-music] Bagpipe Music.
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 09:57:16 -0500

That is the same approach I've been trying, but you've gotten a bit farther. I'd like to enumerate the things that are not working properly for GHB music. If there are ways to fix this with current functionality, any help would be much appreciated. Of course, any needed changes/enhancements would also be most appreciated.

1.    Grace notes need very small heads.
2.    Grace notes need short stems.
3. Beamed grace notes need to be squeezed closer together, proportionate to the "small" head size.
4.    Beams on grace notes need to have "much" finer lines.
5. Slurs defined following a grace note/sequence start with the preceeding grace note. This would be very confusing to GHB musicians. 6. In the example previously provided, unbeamed 8th notes are displayed with a slash, not a flag.
7.    The beams for melody (not grace) notes are a bit thick also.
8. A 'C' is displayed at the beginning of each line, regardless of time signature.
9.    Some notes are run together.
10.  Time signatures are flakey (see Martin's response below).

Anything else Martin?  We'll talk about Pee-Brock later :)

TIA,

Jim

Martin Ellis wrote:

Hello,

I've tried doing pipe music as well. I found it useful to create bagpipes.ly, which is attached. It redefines the notes so that all the notes are referenced by their letter, except left hand g and a, which are g' and a'.

So the scale runs a b c d e f g' a

I have also defined common gracenotes to be included, such as the taorluath, \taor. Other gracenotes can be included by typing the notes that are actually shown followed by 'g' (for gracenote). For example gg for a g gracenote, or lgg for low g gracenote.

Voice.fontSize reduces the size of the gracenotes. (Though not as much as I'd like). I'd like to see if it's possible to increase the lengths of the stems, as they should normally be above the rest of the staff.

God knows why stemStyle = "" doesn't stop the slashes through single gracenotes.

--
Jim Sabatke
SuSE 6.3 Linux

"I don't know anything about this man. At least I know only two things; one is, he
hasn't been in the penitentiary, and the other is [after a pause, and most sadly], I
don't know why."  Mark Twain