help-gnu-music

Re: [Help-gnu-music] volta-style brackets w/o repeat

From: Frederick Polgardy
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-music] volta-style brackets w/o repeat
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:06:25 -0500

> If the Chorus is short (shorter than one line) I would say that volta
> bracket or other fancy structures would make the score needlessly
> complicated, I would just write it in one stretch.
>
> So I suppose the Chorus is long.
>
> If the Verses are short, the piece can take the form of a 5-fold repeat
> plus an ending...  [snip]
>
> In case of long verses (which I guess is actually the case) volta brackets
> with or without numbers stretching out over multiple lines are not so
> desirable. I am a choir singer myself, and sorry, I would not like it. If
> I were to typeset the piece I would (now) opt for:
>
> `Chorus` Chorus :|| 'only the first time'
>          Verse 1 || "(Chorus)"
>          Verse 2 || "(Chorus)"
>          Verse 3 || "(Chorus)"
>          Final Ending |.

As you surmised, the chorus and verses are all a tiny bit too long to be
buried in volta brackets.  The structure is a church responsorial with the
chorus sung first, then congregation responds, then verse, chorus, verse,
chorus, verse, chorus.  The way I ended up setting it was:

  1) Chorus (with segno at m.1), and "Last time to Coda" before volta
  2) Numbered volta repeats:
     1) Last measure of chorus :||
     2) Last measure of chorus - "Go to V. 1" :||
     3) Last measure of chorus - "Go to V. 2" :||
     4) Last measure of chorus - "Go to V. 3" :||
  3) Coda and Final ending |.
  4) Verse 1 - "D.S." ||
  5) Verse 2 - "D.S." ||
  6) Verse 3 - "D.S." ||

That was the most sensible way to set it up.  Maybe that helps to convey why
I would have preferred unnumbered voltas ("3. Go to V. 2" looks a little
strange), and double bars instead of repeats (since you're not technically
repeating at that moment).  But, it's not the end of the world.  Still looks
pretty good. :-)  Thanks for your help.

Fred

--

|__ _  |    |  _ __|    F R E D E R I C K   P O L G A R D Y   J R.
  | |\ \    / /| |      Virtual Media, Inc.
  | | \ \  / / | |      18-3 E Dundee Suite 300 Barrington, IL 60010-5278
 _| |_ \ \/ / _| |_     Phone: 847/842.9008 Fax: 847/842-1731
|_____| \__/ |_____|    http://www.virtual-media.com