help-gnu-music

Re: [Help-gnu-music] Lilypond error

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-music] Lilypond error
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:29:02 +0200

> Hi David,
>
> You were right, I didn't start Lily with an argument, I know practically
> nothing about how to use it. I do have a whole bunch of documents downloaded
> from the web but it has obviously not made me any smarter. I have never been
> able to find out what music-software to use in Linux, I am a musician and a
> composer, the only software I've used as an aid to make music is Sibelius in
> Windows. But I don't like working in Windows at all, I am a devoted Linux user
> since one year back.
> I need to be able to write sheet music for printing and have the possibility
> convert them to MIDI to listen to them.
>
> Do you write the music in an editor or do you do that in Lilypond?
>
> The Lilypond Tutorial starts with an example on a notation of a Bach piece,
> one
> recommends to begin at once with experimenting, but I can't find anything on
> how to invoke the program or 'where' to write the script. Cryptic? Yes, to me
> it is....:o/

I think it's pretty clear in the tutorial, it says:
"Enter it (in a text file called menuet.ly) ... invoke lilypond with
'ly2dvi menuet' ... view it with 'xdvi menuet'.

If you want to print it on paper, run 'ly2dvi -P menuet.ly'
which will give you a printable Postscript file menuet.ps.

To enter the text file describing the music, use your favourite
text editor (my favourite is Emacs). If you're used to a mouse
controlled music editor, this is a completely different way of
thinking, but it's mostly faster than using a mouse interface.

If you installed from a RPM, the ready-made example file menuet.ly
is probably available in
/usr/doc/packages/lilypond/input/tutorial/menuet.ly

     /Mats