Re: bison-1.50: how to parse apostrophe?

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: bison-1.50: how to parse apostrophe?
Date: 11 Oct 2002 13:40:32 +0200

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 12:18, Akim Demaille wrote:
> | > This scheme is compatible with the GNU Coding Standards, and it is my
> | > understanding that Emacs has the right code to support this.  Maybe it
> | > is still in CVS Emacs :(
> |
> | I'm afraid you're wrong Akim - emacs cannot handle the dot separator,
> | nor does it handle ranges properly.  It seems to expect the gcc-style
> | output (file:line[:column]: message).
> [...]
> | Also, from the GNU coding standards from Feb 14 2002:
> |
> |    Error messages from compilers should look like this:
> |
> |      SOURCE-FILE-NAME:LINENO: MESSAGE
> |
> |    If you want to mention the column number, use this format:
> |
> |      SOURCE-FILE-NAME:LINENO:COLUMN: MESSAGE
> |
> |    Line numbers should start from 1 at the beginning of the file, and
> |    column numbers should start from 1 at the beginning of the line.
> |    (Both of these conventions are chosen for compatibility.)  Calculate
> |    column numbers assuming that space and all ASCII printing characters
> |    have equal width, and assuming tab stops every 8 columns.
> |
> | So Jan's suggestion is absolutely correct (and the only
> | standards-conforming way to do it).
>
> I don't understand: I have sent patches to rms, and they were
> accepted.  That was a requirement before having Bison change its
> output, indeed.  These patches were both for the GCS and compile.el.
> I don't know what happened with them.

I cannot find anything about it in standards.texi (and the 14 feb one
from binutils 2.13 is the most recent one I have).
Emacs looked more promising (the ChangeLog mentioned a commit by RMS
that looked like your patch) and it did indeed have regexps for all
sorts of ranges, using dots (even though that goes against what GCC
uses); it just didn't work when I tried it.

BUT the regexps were broken (they considered the filename to include the
':' after it)!  I've just submitted a patch to emacs.