h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] Updated vendors, and options for new hardware categ

From: Luis A Guzman G
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] Updated vendors, and options for new hardware categories
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 03:13:15 -0500

El vie, 15-07-2016 a las 00:37 +0200, Ian Gilfillan escribió:
> Hi
>
> I've modified the script to make updating the PCI and USB vendor lists
> much quicker and more flexible, and avoid errors/warnings, so I'll keep
> the list updated fairly often in future.

Great news!

> There are a few open issues about new categories - if you have comments
> or suggestions about these new categories, please respond in the
> individual issue. There are probably more than I've listed here, going
> further back. Any feedback, or suggestions to prioritise welcome!
>
> Desktop PCs
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/291/1/
>
> Motherboards:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/281/1/
>
> Exotic categories:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/290/1/
>
> Adding PowerPC:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/261/3/
>
> 3d printers:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/240/4/
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/241/4/
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/175/7/
>
> Qualified Digital Certificates (USB tokens with PKI certificates)
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/237/4/
>
> Mice, graphics tablets, game consoles:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/169/4/
>
> Signal processing controllers:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/231/4/
>
> Projectors:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/230/4/
>
> Small-profile computers/All-in-1 PCs/single-board computers:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/226/4/
>
> Pen tablets:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/224/4/
>
> Smart-card readers:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/207/4/
>
> Touchscreen displays:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/218/5/
>
> Solid-state drives:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/204/5/
>
> GPS Receivers:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/205/5/
>
> SATA Controller:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/188/6/
>
> SMBus Controller:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/187/6/
>
> UPS:
> https://h-node.org/issues/view/en/160/7/

There should be a really discussion with some of those categories, but
we'll address them on each tread.

Two main pointers that i would like to address is the need for a user
rate system, so not only admins and users submitting the hardware can
claim if the device been submitted works fine with or without free
software.
A rate system could help us improve the validation and support for
certain retailers/manufacturers that their hardware is supported by free
software.

The second idea i would suggest (i'm on the track of learning on how to
implement it) would be the inclusión of images on the devices, maybe not
Full HD images, but some decent resolution. This in the favor of been
able to generate/build a 'Free software compatible hardware catalog'
from h-node
using the XML files that are already being served by the project.

So h-node could serve PDF catalogs to check hardware compatibility.

It's been years since Antonio and I discussed this ideas, but nor him or
me had the chance (or in my case the skills) to make it real.

If you find this valuable we could add them on the roadmap.

Thanks for activating h-node once again :)
Cheers!
--
Luis A Guzman G <address@hidden>