h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] restrictions to installation of cards

From: Antonio Gallo
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] restrictions to installation of cards
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 08:23:39 +0100 (BST)

--- Ven 24/8/12, John Sullivan <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Da: John Sullivan <address@hidden>
> Oggetto: Re: [H-source-users] restrictions to installation of cards
> A: address@hidden
> Data: Venerdì 24 agosto 2012, 14:20
> Antonio Gallo <address@hidden>
> writes:
>
> > Sorry, I hasn't noticed your reply.. so we can let the
> user specify
> > the problem in the description entry (slot or category
> of hardware) or
> > add a second entry. In the last case we could ask to
> specify the slot
> > where some restrictions are applied. Perhaps the best
> choice would be
> > to specify card and slot, if known.
> >
> > Another option would be to add a totally free text
> entry named:
> >
> > "does exist any restriction related to the substitution
> of some inner
> > device?" (to find the best sentence here, sorry for my
> bad English)
> >
> > with the following notice below (similar to the ones
> used for the model name and other names entries):
> >
> > "an example: it prevents the installation of cards
> not-approved by the
> > vendor. Please specify the type of restriction, the
> slot used and the
> > category of hardware substituted and any other relevant
> detail"
>
> It's a very known problem that some laptops don't allow
> unapproved wifi
> cards to be installed. It seems like because of that, it
> should be a
> dedicated field rather than a free-form text description.
>
> -john
>
> --
> John Sullivan | Executive Director, Free Software
> Foundation
> GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://identi.ca/johnsu01 | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS
>
> Do you use free software? Donate to join the FSF and support
> freedom at
> <http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.

Sorry for the delay. Ok then we could use a select entry specific for wifi
cards, such as the following:

does the device prevent the installation of wifi cards not-approved by the
vendor?

 - not specified
 - no
 - yes, please specify inside the description entry

This would be very simple to implement. In the future, if other similar
problems arise for other devices, we could add similar entries for those devices