h-source-users

Re: [H-source-users] restrictions to installation of cards

From: Antonio Gallo
Subject: Re: [H-source-users] restrictions to installation of cards
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:50:59 +0100 (BST)

--- Ven 24/8/12, Michał Masłowski <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Da: Michał Masłowski <address@hidden>
> Oggetto: Re: [H-source-users] restrictions to installation of cards
> A: address@hidden
> Data: Venerdì 24 agosto 2012, 07:05
> > I think we need to be specific
> about which kind of card is prevented. A
> > common one is wifi. But one which prohibits new wifi
> cards does not
> > necessarily prohibit other kinds of cards.
>
> We need to be specific about the slot, this restriction
> typically
> applies to a mini-PCI or mini-PCI-E cards (of one slot
> only?).  External
> USB cards can be "installed".
>
> We might refer to only internal slots in the question and
> add an answer
> of "no (there are no connectors for them)".
>
> An obvious implementation of this restriction wouldn't
> accept non-wifi
> cards, checking only the vendorid:productid pair.

Sorry, I hasn't noticed your reply.. so we can let the user specify the problem
in the description entry (slot or category of hardware) or add a second entry.
In the last case we could ask to specify the slot where some restrictions are
applied. Perhaps the best choice would be to specify card and slot, if known.

Another option would be to add a totally free text entry named:

"does exist any restriction related to the substitution of some inner device?"
(to find the best sentence here, sorry for my bad English)

with the following notice below (similar to the ones used for the model name
and other names entries):

"an example: it prevents the installation of cards not-approved by the vendor.
Please specify the type of restriction, the slot used and the category of
hardware substituted and any other relevant detail"