gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: urn-5 article

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: urn-5 article
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:54:34 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 11:24:45PM +0200, Benja Fallenstein wrote:
Tuomas Lukka wrote:
Some gnutella clients use it.
Oh, that's interesting! Can you give a reference? I haven't found one on google.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-talk/2001NovDec/0090.html

Yes, I found *that*, but it's the article we've discussed before, and even reading it again it does not say that some gnutella clients use urn:sha1. It AFAICS (can see) only says that it's inspired by gnutella, and *proposes* urn:sha1.

So again, it's AFAIK just one single article thinking about it-- not registered, nobody using it, nobody registering it.

We could cite the paper above, of course.

(Btw, JXTA ids may also be worth looking at.)

The idea was to have the first two points, "Globally unique ids" and "Places that don't use globally unique ids currently," as the introduction (doing exactly that)... But of course should mention urn:urn-5 too.

Not necessarily good: the introduction is expected to have references
to prior work that's somehow similar. Those two points should probably
come in the section *after* the introduction.

Well, I meant like: "Globally unique ids are this (ref); examples include URIs, IP addresses, (...). Ids that are not globally unique include HTML anchors, (...)." So references to prior work that is somehow similar is exactly the point IMHO.

-b.