gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Re: urn-5 article

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Re: urn-5 article
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 23:24:45 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

urn:sha-1 is neither used nor registered nor in the process of being registered, so the most we could refer to it is as an idea someone has had at some point. A nit, I know, but important when publishing this.

Some gnutella clients use it.

Oh, that's interesting! Can you give a reference? I haven't found one on google.

Ah, ok. Other identifications to mention here:

- HTML anchors
- HTML/XML element ids
- relative URIs, fragment identifiers
- GNOME monikers

These are not globally unique, which is important to us because they're used in places where urn-5 could be used for unique identification.

Hey, these are EXCELLENT examples. The HTML anchor becoming a GUID...
tracking cut&paste xanadu-like.

:-)

Possible order of presentation:
- Globally unique ids and why you want to use them
- Places that don't use globally unique ids currently, and what you cannot do because of that
- The urn:urn-5 namespace
- how it works
- how it's different from hashing
- Caveat: Human readability/writability problems
- only in text editors, structure editors can handle ids internally
- Caveat: unlike relative identifiers, when you have an urn:urn-5 id, you don't automatically have any document/context it appears in - you can have a central registry on a system containing those ids, if you want to perform lookups using them - this kind of registry would allow RDF statements about identified objects to be resolved
- could use this to implement transclusions and links
- Conclusions

Have to have introduction and prior art first. And mention urn:urn-5 in the introduction and explain that we're going to say here what it's for.

The idea was to have the first two points, "Globally unique ids" and "Places that don't use globally unique ids currently," as the introduction (doing exactly that)... But of course should mention urn:urn-5 too.

In other ways this sounds good.

Good :-)

LaTeX?

Yes, if you help me out when I don't know something.

- Benja