Re: [open-cobol-list] Strange Terminal output

From: Jeffrey Chimene
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Strange Terminal output
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 12:23:44 -0700

On 02/07/2013 10:32 AM, Paride Desimone wrote:
> Il 06/02/2013 23:19 Jeffrey Chimene ha scritto:
>
>> Your console emulator isn't configured correctly. What console
>> emulator
>> are you using? What is its character set?
> I have no idea :-)
> I run directly from bash. I have same result, from gnome terminal or
> directly out of gnome.

The console emulator is gnome terminal.
The second technique ("... directly out of gnome") spawns gnome terminal
which then starts your shell (bash) which then runs your COBOL program.

> Do you have whiptail installed? If so, try the following command. It
> should draw lines
>
> whiptail --title "Test" \
>         --checklist \
>         "" 10 55 5 \
>         "EXPORT" "export SVN tag" OFF \
>         "BUILD"  "build"          ON  \
>         "LOCAL"  "Deploy local"   OFF \
>         "REMOTE" "Deploy remote"  OFF \
>     3>&1 1>&2 2>&3
> Yes, it draw lines...

Good. However, that means the issue is with the particular character set
chosen by your program. I'm over my head from here though. I don't spend
enough time w/ OC to debug character set issues.

You might try orienting gnome terminal to your program, rather than your
program to gnome terminal. By this I mean cycling through the various
character sets until you get a match. Don't bother with the "directly
out of gnome" technique until you've figured out the gnome terminal
settings.