Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges
Date: 21 Apr 2004 16:40:47 -0400

> always undo.  How the merge tool handles problems is up to the
> tool. Don't use tools that lose data when they fail.

But an important part of the data is "what has been merged already",
otherwise you might end up with all the patch-logs added but only some of
the corresponding patches applied.

Basically, instead of 3 trees, I'd rather have 1 tree where each changed
<file>.new.  We'd also invent some way to represent file move/add/delete.

Then the merge can be done file-by-file with an obviously
fail-safe behavior.  Also it makes it possible again for star-merge to
avoid the construction of three trees and only touch the actually
changed files.

        Stefan