Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges
Date: 21 Apr 2004 14:47:56 -0400

> It's worth considering Tom's solution: break star-merge into two phases:
> #This should dump the ANCESTOR and HIS trees and output their locations
> $tla star-merge --dump
> #You can invoke any merge tool you like here.
> #This should clean up the ANCESTOR and HIS trees
> $tla star-merge --cleanup

Except that such an interface forces the construction of 3 complete trees,
whereas the current `star-merge' interface can use a more efficient
implementation that only looks at files that have been changed in the
revisions between ancestor/mine/his.

Furthermore, you'd need side info to know how files have been moved,
etc... so the "any merge tool" needs to know a bit about Arch.

Yes, maybe instead of --diff3-flags we should have --merge-cmd
so we can use something else than diff3.  That'd be fine with me.

        Stefan