Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges
Date: 21 Apr 2004 16:13:33 -0400

> That's not tla-specific, it's tool specific.  In some cases, it will pop up
> a GTK dialog box, in other cases, it will output to the console, etc.

Means that if the user doesn't notice the message, data might be lost?
What if the tool fails after merging half of the tree.  How is the user
going to know which half is done which half isn't?
How is it going to recover?  I guess the simplest solution is for tla to
plainly revert the whole merge, but that might require to keep a copy of
the original tree.  I'm trying to use tla to manage my config files,
including ~/.emacs and stuff: i.e. my homedir is under tla's control and
a star-merge simply cannot afford to do a recursive copy of my whole
homedir before doing its job (most of the contents of my homedir are marked
precious).

        Stefan