Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Graphical merges
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:26:22 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:
A view of the differences between MINE and HIS won't be too difficult,
since I just have to parse the conflicts marks in the source file, and
call ediff.

It's called `smerge-ediff' in Emacs-21.

Solution:  In  function run_diff3,  in  apply-changeset.c, change  the
hardcoded '-E' for an optional one. Add an option '--view-ancestor' to
tla star-merge to disable the '-E' option to patch.
Does this seem reasonable ?

I'd much prefer to have even more control over flags passed to diff3.
Like an option "--diff3-flag <flags>" which would default to "-E -m"
(i.e. what's currently used).

It's worth considering Tom's solution: break star-merge into two phases:

#This should dump the ANCESTOR and HIS trees and output their locations
$tla star-merge --dump

#You can invoke any merge tool you like here.

#This should clean up the ANCESTOR and HIS trees
$tla star-merge --cleanup

See our earlier "graphical merges" discussion.
(I made up the option names.)

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley