[Gnu-arch-users] Slow inventories on large source trees

From: Mike Hearn
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Slow inventories on large source trees
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:40:58 +0100

Hi,

On the WineHQ source tree, with an in-tree build, doing tla inventory
--ids >/dev/null takes approximately 20 seconds on my athlon 1200 with
256mb of ram.

This makes certain operations extremely slow, and this is problematic for
us (the Wine developers thinking of adopting arch).

The total source tree when a complete build has been done is approximately
560mb of data.

I haven't tested with an out-of-tree build - while I suspect performance
would be better, I'm really not sure we want to ask everyone to do
out-of-tree builds to work around this slowness in arch.

Are there any ideas for how to optimize this? The CVS gateway tree is
using names tagging, though a real switch to arch would be using explicit
tags in future.

thanks -mike