[Gnu-arch-users] How to customize generated ChangeLogs to my requirement

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] How to customize generated ChangeLogs to my requirements?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:31:13 +0200

I'd like to use autogenerated ChangeLogs in my arch managed projects for
the obvious reason of not managing information present in two places by
hand.  However, there are two problems with the current `tla changelog'
behavior that prevent me from doing this.

First, I don't like the format produced by `tla changelog'.  I'd like
the following changes of `tla changelog' behavior:

- Omit the time stamps.

- Put the Summary: and Revision: contents on the same line as the
  heading, e.g.

  instead of

- Omit the extra blank lines between patch entries, i.e. to omit the
  final extra blank lines in logs and put only a single blank line
  before starting the next patch entry.

Well, I can probably perform the changes in my pre-commit hooks.  But
maybe more people might find that useful enough to be worth adding a new
option to `tla changelog'?

Second, I don't know how to generate a complete ChangeLog, including
actual log entries from merged branches (instead of the patch name
listings by log-for-merge, which is pretty useless in ChangeLog) and
previous versions, that the current version is a continuation of.  Any
tip how I can do this?

Thanks.

Milan Zamazal

--
The seeker after truth should be humbler than the dust.  The world crushes the
dust under its feet, but the seeker after truth should so humble himself that