Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Slow inventories on large source trees

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Slow inventories on large source trees
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:05:16 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:
    > From: Mike Hearn <address@hidden>

    > On the WineHQ source tree, with an in-tree build, doing tla
    > inventory --ids >/dev/null takes approximately 20 seconds on my
    > athlon 1200 with 256mb of ram.

    > This makes certain operations extremely slow, and this is
    > problematic for us (the Wine developers thinking of adopting
    > arch).

    > The total source tree when a complete build has been done is
    > approximately 560mb of data.

    > I haven't tested with an out-of-tree build - while I suspect
    > performance would be better, I'm really not sure we want to ask
    > everyone to do out-of-tree builds to work around this slowness
    > in arch.

    > Are there any ideas for how to optimize this? The CVS gateway
    > tree is using names tagging, though a real switch to arch would
    > be using explicit tags in future.

Names tagging, eh?

Could you please (in no particular order and paying attention to and
taking steps to mitigate effects of OS-level FS caching):

1) measure the speed of GNU `find' on this tree with
        find . '!' -uid 0

   (I'm assuming that root does not own any files in this tree.  The
    find expression is to force `find' to stat files.)

Is that necessary? With names tagging, it shouldn't need to stat anything, should it?

2) report user/system/real times for `inventory'

On a P3 500:
real    0m11.019s
user    0m9.450s
sys     0m0.160s

3) build tla from scratch with profiling (you can set CFLAGS= on the `make' command line) and summarize where most time is being spent

4) (especially if it should turn out that most time is being spent in
   re* or rx* functions) let us know (a) have you customized
   =tagging-method and (b) do you use many .arch-inventory files?

233 .arch-inventory files

Note that my last email profiled "changes", not "inventory". And it was using a library that already had the revision.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology