Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Slow inventories on large source trees

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Slow inventories on large source trees
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:58:45 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:

Abently, are you interested in working on this?  Do you know about the
`cut' operator in Rx?  (I.e., you don't want to combine those
filename_matches calls by adding parentheses to regexps.  You want to
arrange for the final state label of the dfa to tell you which pattern
matched.)

Okay, I've tried it, and it's a horrible pessimization. I don't understand why. Output in the WINE tree is identical. As for function calls:

without cuts:
real    0m9.604s
user    0m9.490s
sys     0m0.110s

regexec: 32572
filename_matches: 32572

with cuts:
real    2m43.587s !!!!
user    2m42.470s
sys     0m0.490s

regexec: 18036
filename_matches: 14402
filename_matches_cut: 3634

Perhaps you'd like to have a look? My reading of the gprof output says that filename_matches is still consuming most of the runtime, and that can't be right, 'cause I've *removed* calls, not added them.

address@hidden/tlasrc--inventory--0

(note: the code's pretty messy, but there's no point making it pretty if it doesn't work)

Aaron