Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 20:37:51 -0400

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 03:52:21PM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> We both know which country I'm in. The good ole US of A. However, I have
> personally observed similiar behavior in: Malaysia, Thailand,
> United Arab Emerates and Saudi Arabia. Though I haven't been there
> personally, I've heard of similiar behavior in Australia and African and
> South American countries.

I lived for several years in Britain, and "ignorance is cool" is _definitely_
a well entrenched attitude among large swathes of the population there (my
god...).

I now live in Japan, and because the culture is more unfamiliar (and
insular), it's harder for me to make judgements; however I'd say this
attitude is less evident here -- there's some sense that most people do in
fact respect education -- but from what I see of pop culture trends, the
future is perhaps less cheery.

[and personally I'm _really_ tired of snide digs against the U.S., and can't
see what good they do other than to perhaps allow the speaker to ignore his
own country's problems.  What sucks is ignorance, and arrogance, and these
are pretty universal.  Let's attack _problems_ not nationalities (if the
U.S. is a prime offender, they may bear the brunt -- but that's not the
point).]

Sorry for the flame people.

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]