Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers

From: Robin Green
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Public Arch servers
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 19:36:41 +0100

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 02:45:03AM -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
> of people could be. Then, as I got older, I empirically came to
> understand two fundamental truths:
>
>     1. Most people are not only poorly educated, but are ironically
>     proud of their poor education.

*ahem*. In your country, or the region you're familiar with, maybe.
Maybe.

(*stifles the urge to hazard a guess at what country you're from* ;)

Certainly not true everywhere.

>     2. Any democratically managed entity is going to be ruled by the
>     people in #1.

We were talking about gna.org, where the criteria for voting is having
done significant sysadmin/development work, recently, on the site admin project.
This is one of the ways in which "workplace democracy" is interestingly
different to what we laughably call democracy in the representative
politics realm.

(Of course, in a profit-seeking business there can self-evidently be no
true workplace democracy, because of the power imbalance, so its genuine
manifestations are restricted to things like not-for-profit organisations.)
--
Robin