[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Sharing a library between multiple developers

From: Julian T. J. Midgley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Sharing a library between multiple developers
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:10:50 +0000 (UTC)

In article <address@hidden>,
Aaron Bentley  <address@hidden> wrote:
>Julian T. J. Midgley wrote:
>> Are any problems likely to result from allowing many developers to
>> share a single tla library?
>
>You haven't said how developers are sharing the library.

A local directory on each of the servers that form part of the
development cluster.  The different servers have different functions -
all of the development and testing associated with a particular
function happens on the same server, and cannot, in practice, occur on
a different machine, since it's expensive to replicate the development
environment elsewhere.

E.g. there's a revision library in /var/local/arch-lib, which is owned
by the user and group 'arch', ritable by group 'arch' and is
chmoded g+s.  The library is greedy.

Bob, Fred, Anna and George are all members of group 'arch', are all
logged in to the same server, and all issue the command:

tla my-revision-library /var/local/arch-lib

The tla archive is remote to the server they are working on.

If they start using tla to work on a project, all working on the same
branch, will they run into any problems sharing the library in this
fashion?

>NFS doesn't work at the moment with revision libraries, because its
>sanity checks expect device numbers to remain constant, and NFS's
>don't.  There's been lots of discussion on the list and there's some
>stuff on the wiki, too.

I'd read the warnings about NFS, so avoided the temptation to try to
share the library over the NFS partition. (On that topic though, it
still isn't clear to me whether having a working copy on an NFS
partition is a problem, if you are using a library (so have no
pristines in your {arch} directory in the working copy) on the local
disks of each of the machines from which you access the NFS working
copy.)

Julian
--
Julian T. J. Midgley                       http://www.xenoclast.org/