Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Describing archives (new feature at the mirror)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Describing archives (new feature at the mirror)
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 16:24:25 -0500

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 04:05:09PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > By the time the duplicate mails reach the destination, they have been
> > significantly munged by the MLM;
>
> What do you mean by "significantly"?
>
> > this list runs on mailman, which is spectacularly bad in this respect.
> > Now which one are you supposed to deliver?
>
> Who cares which, since the only interesting part of the content is the same.

I agree with you -- my incoming-mail handling can cope with any copy
(it actually _removes_ the various headers and other grot that mailing list
managers add) -- but I gather that some people like to do there mail sorting
&c based on List-* headers, or they like the (annoying) `[LISTNAME] ' tags
that often get added.

Of course I'd say that it's those people's problem.  I don't think it's all
that hard to solve for them though: just maintain a list of the mailing lists
you're on, and if you receive a message that has a list address in a To:/CC:
header, discard it unless it's the `official' copy.

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.