Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:18:23 +0000

On 27 Mar 2004 00:06:39 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Mikhael> I fail to understand why people use FDL as an example
>     Mikhael> against GPL v2+.  This is bogus.
>
> You may disagree, but that's why many people consider the GFDL to be a
> salient example for justifying misgivings about revisions of the GPL.
> You shouldn't just dismiss it as "bogus".

You didn't convince me that mixing two unmixable things is valid.

GPL is a free software licence and was designed to be such.
GFDL is not a free software licence and was not designed to be such.

The fact that FSF created a license that is not appropriate for us, free
software hackers, but possibly appropriate for different purposes can't
be used as a valid argument against GPL v2+.

There is no evidence that RMS compromized the meaning of "free software"
in the past or is going to do this in the future. Is so, any such
theories are bogus.

Regards,
Mikhael.