[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: 26 Mar 2004 16:00:05 -0500

> The point is that software and its documentation should converge.  I
> think we all pay lip-service, at least, to the Book of Literate
> Programming by the Prophet Knuth.

I think people here are tryni gto be way too rational.
This is legalese, so it's not necessarily rational.

The FSF has been doing such non-rational arguing for as long as I've known
it, w.r.t the difference between static-linkink, dynamic-linking, and
running in a separate address space.

In practice those three cases are generally pretty clearly different,
although there exist counter examples lying squarely in several of
those fields.

Same thing with documentation.  Richard has a pretty good idea of what he
means by "documentation" when he thinks of material that might use
the GFDL.  Among other things he does not consider docstrings as relevant
because they do not document things in the same way and should not be
written the same way.

Those different categories are not disjoint and you can't come up with
a precise definition of what fits in which, but that is not a problem for
legal babble because the law is all about intent and interpretation anyway.
That's why we have lawyers rather than proof checkers.

        Stefan