Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:45:19 +0000

On 22 Mar 2004 16:06:03 -0500, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> >I fail to understand why people use FDL as an example against GPL v2+.
>
> The point is that the FSF isn't consistent on "Free".  They think "some
> kinds of limits on the method of modification pose no problem".  That's
> not what others think, so GFDLed docs are winding up in [non-free] in
> Debian.

This resorts to which meaning of "Free", FSF's or Debian's, is better.
Seems irrelevant to me for this specific issue, since they both agree
that "GPL v2+" is "Free".

> If the FSF isn't consistent on Free, there's room for doubt that the new
> GPL will be as Free as the old.

I am not sure whether this implies that now the Debian's meaning of
"Free" is the ultimate one. Otherwise I don't see any inconsistency.
FDL is the good license for free books.

> >This is bogus. GNU FDL is designed for adoption by commercial publishers.
>
> The link says GNU documentation contains invariant sections.  Is the FSF
> a "commercial publisher" then?

They sell their manuals, so this seems true to me. I am not the native
speaker though to judge the language semantics.

> >Surely, GPL and FDL are two different licenses, use the most appropriate
> >for you. If you don't write and sell books, GPL v2+ is more appropriate.
>
> I don't see anything in the article saying that the GPL is more
> appropriate for some kinds of manuals.  There's no suggestion made that
> the GPL could be applied to manuals.  If that was their intent, you'd
> hope they'd mention it.

Quote from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#OtherLicenses

  The GNU GPL can be used for general data which is not software, as long
  as one can determine what the definition of "source code" refers to in
  the particular case.

I don't think I will continue to participate in this discussion, this
seems very useless and unproductive to me. Please wake me up when/if the
Wiki switches to GNU GPL v2+ for new contributions. Until then I don't
see how the Wiki is useful for me, although I spent a lot of days on it.

Regards,
Mikhael.