Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:00:33 -0500

Tom Lord wrote:

It's much simpler for everyone to use source code freely if the public
licenses are always guaranteed to be compatible.  There is no
risk-free way to do that, that I see, but the FSF has an awefully good
track record at managing the GPL and, additionally, is legally
constrained to not screw up too badly by their status as a non-profit
public-interest corporation.   I'd suggest using v2+.

However, the FSF also released the Free Documentation License, which has caused some difficulty because GFDLed documents aren't necessarily Free enough for Debian.

For example, if hell froze over and you joined Bitmover, abandoning Arch, we wouldn't be able to remove the invariant section of the tutorial asking people to donate to you.

(It goes without saying that I support your right to determine the license you use for your creative works.)

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology